Prompted by three professors (János Hankiss, Rezső Milleker, and Béla Tankó), the Council of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at the University of Debrecen resolved to found Debrecen Summer School on May 9, 1927. Their purpose with the new institution was to popularize Hungarian as the language of a “small” nation in a world in which, as Hankiss put it, “nations are so intertwined that it would be a hopeless and harmful endeavor to pick out certain thicker lines, single national threads, to the detriment of the whole fabric.” To quote Professor Hankiss again, getting to know the long-suffering Central Europe with any degree of depth “may as well start with getting to know Hungary… given that the history and cultural life of Hungary incorporate a large part of the nations and values of Europe along the Danube River.”
Eighty years later, on June 23, 2007, the Association of Hungarian Heritage and Europe declared in the great assembly hall of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences that “Debrecen Summer School’s service to preserve the Hungarian language” makes it worthy of receiving the Hungarian Heritage Award. The same year the 80-year-old institution was awarded the Pro Urbe Award of the city of Debrecen. Is this a Hungarian success story? One from Debrecen? Probably more than either of them. It is a Debrecen initiative launched in the spirit of university integration and internationality. In the past nine decades, DSS has grown to assume nearly world-wide status and shown examples of good practice to several similar ventures. At the same time, it has gone to great lengths to remain a torchbearer of the Hungarian language and culture both inside and outside the present-day borders.
The school was founded in 1924 by Joseph Belačik as a primary school. At that time Milan Hodža was the Minister of Education. The school was built in 1927 and it was designed by the architect Alois Pinkas from Bratislava. Today this historical building gives home to the Bilingual High School of Milan Hodža. The school opened its doors to pupils as a primary school in 1928, on the 10th anniversary of the creation of Czechoslovakia (a joint state of Czechs and Slovaks.) The history of the grammar school began on September 1. 1991. as a bilingual grammar school. This was the first bilingual (English-Slovak) grammar school in the country and at that time it ran under the name Bilingual English-Slovak Grammar School. In 2002 the school was awarded for it excellent results and by today its official name is Bilingual High School of Milan Hodža. In a short period of its existence, the grammar school has established itself among schools providing stable quality of education for pupils from all over Slovakia. The results of the school-leaving examinations prove the same, that the Bilingual High School of Milan Hodža is one of the best grammar schools in the country. The school enjoys high interest among pupils who want to continue their study there, which is proved by their numbers. The number of candidates is almost five times more than how many the school could accept.
The school was founded in 1818 and its 140 pupils learnt in its first building at street Pijarska. In 1838 the school was given to Jesuits and they moved it into another building at street Piotra Skargi. In 1894 there was a fire in Nowy Sącz, which burnt down one of the school buildings. The building was renewed and teaching could continue at street Długosz. About 30 years later the high school takes the name of the region into its name as well so it became Jan Długosz Nowy Sącz. In 1933-34 a school reform was introduced, which created the two-stage general secondary school. Later in 1939 the school was closed and for six years pupils were taught secretly, until in February 1945 teaching was started again in several school buildings. From 1948 the school introduced the four-class high school (from 8th to 11th class.) From 1952 until 1957 the school was coeducated, however in 1957 it became a school for boys again and it returned to its old name. In 1964 the school became coeducated again. Between 1966 and 1969 it became one of the five leading schools in Krakow, and it also celebrated its 150th anniversary. During this time the school got the golden badge “Distinguished for the Development of Sadecka”. In 1972 the school was renovated and central heating was introduced in it. In 1979 the school received the Medal of the National Education Commission and six years the school unveiled the bust of Jan Długosz, the patron saint of the school. In 1986 the UNESCO added the school to its list and in 1999 the school got its name that it still has today: Secondary School No.1 Jan Długosz Nowy Sącz.
The PRIGO Gymnasium is a secondary school which opened in 1993 as the first non-state school in the Ostrava region. It is currently providing its services in Ostrava – Mariánské Hory, Frýdek-Místek and Frýdlant n. O. This year, the school has already successfully entered the 22st year of its existence. It offers education in an eight-year, six-year and four-year gymnasium. The focus is on very good students interested in a general gymnasium-style education with extended teaching of natural sciences and related disciplines. It is also a school with a strong emphasis on language training in English, Spanish, or German, incl. teaching by native speakers and participation of foreign students in school and extracurricular activities.
The eight-year, six-year and four-year gymnasia focus on pupils and students who most typically want to continue studying at a university with a focus on natural sciences. Currently, students can focus on two basic specialisations, as given by the selection of elective courses, seminars and leisure activities. That involves, in particular, specialisation in medical, veterinary or pharmaceutical field, or specialisation for students aspiring to study at natural scientific, technical or top economic faculties.
Despite the above specialisations, education is provided in accordance with the Framework Educational Programme for Gymnasiums, and our graduates therefore receive a general education, an education in humanities and culture, but with high natural science and language competence. They are students with a broad general knowledge who will excel in the Maturita examination and become successful in further studies at prestigious universities in the Czech Republic and very often even abroad.
Its classrooms and laboratories have been provided with modern equipment. Computer and multimedia technology is thus an essential part of everyday teaching. Those who enter for the school year 2015/2016 do not have to pay any school fees. Moreover, thanks to the participation of the aforementioned strategic partner, the school provides each student with a scholarship throughout their period of study.
Fazekas Mihály Gimnázium (in English: Mihály Fazekas High School; also known among alumni as simply Fazekas) is a high school in Debrecen, Hungary.
Its original institution, the Debrecen szabad királyi város Főreáltanodája was opened on November 3, 1873. At that time it was a boys only school, its main topics were modern languages, mathematics and natural sciences. Its building was designed by Károly Meixner and was started in 1891 and in 1893 its gates opened for the students.
The name “Fazekas Mihály” was adopted in 1922, and it became a high school in 1934, when the education system was standardised. Since then the institution showed strong results in real science education.
Between 1956 and 1961 the school lost many of its status as being training school for the Debrecen University and became more polytechnics style. In 1961 the system was changed back to the old system, including educating teachers, special maths and foreign languages, and the school became co-educated as it was opened for girl students, too.
Since 2000 the high school started unique dual-language classes in Hungarian-Spanish and Hungarian-French languages.